Discussion: Rednecks breaking outReported This is a featured thread

Showing 5 posts

blacksmithjonny
Rednecks breaking out
Dec 7 2009, 4:31 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 7 2009, 4:31 PM EST
The Devils' Brigade is now starting chapters in Conneticut and Louisianna. We have clubs interested in Virginia and Minnesota as well. We are starting the American Doubles Horseshoe Pitching Association. We will specialize in Non walking doubles and getting new people interested in playing shoes. I would love to start a chapter in California. Let's get a discussion going and see how to make this a reality. Take a look at our mission statement and our rank structure on the website. www.diablo-forge.com/horseshoe
Thanks
Jon Molden
Tucson AZ
Do you find this valuable?    
pznkz
pznkz
1. RE: Rednecks breaking out
Dec 22 2009, 11:26 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 22 2009, 11:26 PM EST
Hi Jon, looks like you're doing a great job of getting people out pitching horseshoes. I agree with the' build from the bottom up' philosophy. I've had several discussions with NCHPA & NHPA people about this. I think it's critical for local clubs to embrace novice and recreational players as well as providing exposure and opportunities to pitch in sanctioned NHPA events if they want. We're also supporting fundraiser or organization tournaments in order to reach more people. It looks like you've got some good ideas for developing the sport. I know other people who have essentially started their own clubs and hold their own tournaments. It'd be good to stay in touch or to create an online knowledge base for ideas that are working. I'm not sure what the ADHPA is, but it sounds similar to some of our events. However, I think the NHPA needs to create a subdivision of it's membership for people who don't want serious competition. They're blowing it by not bringing a growing trend toward organized recreational horseshoes under their umbrella. I like grilling, having a beer and listening to music while playing horseshoes AND I also like serious competition sometimes just to see how well I can do. I don't see why it has to be an either/or league. We're looking into starting junior leagues and starting leagues between schools and school Men's clubs. As you're doing, we're trying to start using score cards on some nights to get people used to sanctioned scoring and play instead of just playing to 21. The goal is to have fun, but also to educate people that horseshoes is a national sport with professionals, and very specific rules. Once people get hooked, they'll want to try and compete in sanctioned tournaments. Good luck, I'll stay in touch. Do you find this valuable?    
pznkz
pznkz
2. RE: Rednecks breaking out
Dec 22 2009, 11:41 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 22 2009, 11:41 PM EST
Hi Jon,
I also see you're active with VFW's. I think horseshoes is a great competitive sport option for people who have sustained injuries or are disabled. I plan on mentioning it to my sports medicine orthopedist. I just broke my thumb playing softball, and 13 years ago I blew an ACL playing soccer. At this point of my life I'm looking for competitve outdoor sports that I can improve at and continue to play the next 40 years. Look for new members who are transitioning atheletes and also to treatment centers that might not have thought about horseshoes as rehab. I know one med center here in SF that uses horseshoes as part of their treatment. - Peter

blacksmithjonny
3. RE: Rednecks breaking out
Dec 23 2009, 7:58 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2009, 7:58 AM EST
"Hi Jon,
I also see you're active with VFW's. I think horseshoes is a great competitive sport option for people who have sustained injuries or are disabled. I plan on mentioning it to my sports medicine orthopedist. I just broke my thumb playing softball, and 13 years ago I blew an ACL playing soccer. At this point of my life I'm looking for competitve outdoor sports that I can improve at and continue to play the next 40 years. Look for new members who are transitioning atheletes and also to treatment centers that might not have thought about horseshoes as rehab. I know one med center here in SF that uses horseshoes as part of their treatment. - Peter "
Peter
It sure seems that we are on the same page. Read this old posting of mine and you'll see that where I am coming from. http://diablo-forge.com/horseshoe/?p=912
Jon
pznkz
pznkz
4. RE: Rednecks breaking out
Dec 23 2009, 10:17 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 23 2009, 10:17 AM EST
yep. We're thinking very similarly. we'll need to share ideas. You call it the 4-Fun league, I call it the Leaner League. With numbers like 15 Million 4 Fun pitchers vs. 15,000 NHPA members the structure of the organization should actually be reversed, where the elite pitchers are a special subset of the main group. Like MLBaseball and the farm teams and little league. Check out our first tournamet video. Combo Skateboard Jam / Horseshoe Tourney. CA state champ Rick Bermingham came and said he'd never seen so many young people at a tournament. (over 200) they set up mini skate park at one end so people could skateboard btwn matches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3d-VMT16Q&feature=player_embedded
Also check out my friend Ken Bakers East Bay Summer Series, http://www.eastbaysummerseries.com, especially his 'Rules" No. 11 in particular. He's got a good website going too.
- Peter
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)