Discussion: scoringReported This is a featured thread

Showing 2 posts

Posted Anonymously
scoring
Aug 19 2009, 2:57 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 19 2009, 2:57 PM EDT
Since when is a leaner worth 2 points? When I played a lot at the city courts, in Toledo, 60 years ago, the leaner was the same as a certain closest for the single point. A leaner is an accident, not worth 2 points, in my opinion. I can understand the practicality of sand, but back then our courts were clay; your shoe never slid in for a score, but had to be right on. Without a security guard, clay would probably be impossible today. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None (edit keyword tags)
pznkz
pznkz
1. RE: scoring
Aug 22 2009, 1:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 22 2009, 1:01 AM EDT
you are correct. "officially" leaners are only worth 1 point, the same as a shoe within 6" of the stake. This rule will be in effect for the NHPA sanctioned portion of the tournament and when we play at the club. However, most people who don't know the rules and play at picnics or their backyards, count leaners as 2 points just because they are rare even if by accident. For a tournament where we're just trying to get people excited about horseshoes and to have fun leaners will count as 2 becasue it's something else to get excited about. I think they're fun because it makes it a challenge to knock down. Which can be hard to do for a beginner. .... the official rules say you are not supposed to drink a beer while playing either...but I wave that rule a lot too! ---as for sand vs. clay. Yes, clay is by far the preferred material for official, professional, or sanctioned events. But if you've followed what we're trying to overcome in Golden Gate Park, clay is nearly impossible. In fact, we took out the clay that was there. There is no water accessible to maintain the clay, the homeless take pit covers and will use them as beds, the original wood pit covers were burned for fires, drug addicts discard their needles, broken glass and bottles are a constant problem, and the surrounding hills are basically sand dunes which continually blow into the pits. It's a LOT easier to maintain sand than clay so we chose a sand/loam mixture, which also is an approved 'pit substance' per the NHPA rules. - I love the fact that we're discussing court 'ideals' when 4 months ago we couldn't even find the pits. that's progress! Do you find this valuable?